Monday, March 1, 2010

Month 1 - Day 1

The Public Health Department nurse who interviewed me after my PPD and chest Xray suggested that I take my INH pill after dinner to lighten nausea. I think that's a great idea, so my first day, possibly week, will just be about remembering to take my pill.

The Public Health department in Santa Fe, New Mexico was very easy to work with on my initial visit. After looking at my paperwork, the sweet, elderly hispanic nurse asked me a few questions that she'll ask every month as I return for my next 30-day dose. These questions help them identify what symptoms I have, and if I might be reacting adversly to INH. To me, if I vomit, that will be an adverse reaction, but the next medication in line might be even worse.

Since INH is hard on the liver (thus the increased risk of hepatits and requirement of little alcohol and increased problems with blood sugar) my desire through this 9 months is to provide adequate liver support. I hope to try different things that I wouldn't normally try. Although my diet is usually pretty good, I believe this 9 months will push me above and beyond my normal diet and force me to be as clean as possible. Imagine that...

My Diet Today:
Breakfast: Ezekial Toast with Avocado, Tomato and spike
Snack: Big bag of carrots and Hummus
Lunch: Cooked veges with goddess dressing on top
Snack: Grapefruit and nuts
Dinner: Kale and a Millet pilaf

My diet is pretty healthy for the most part anyhow, so this isn't a huge change for me. I could understand how this would really suck for a lot of people who drink soda, eat a lot of chips and refined products, etc. I'm pretty lucky on this end.

The First Pill
This morning I set out the bottle. It still has the little flap of info attached to the lid. I lifted it up and felt a little like Socrates holding his hemlock. Tonight, at 8'clock on the nose less that 10 minutes after dinner, I popped the pill in while my partner was singing to me. At 9:00 PM, I feel my normal tired.

We'll see how I feel tomorrow...bedtime at 10 tonight.

1 comment:

  1. I would really like to thank you for making this blog. It has helped me alleviate some of my fears about starting on INH, and it's great to hear your experience.

    ReplyDelete