Thursday, April 1, 2010

Starting the Histamine-free Diet (Month 2, Day 32)

Welcome to Month 2, I said to myself.  In fact, I feel recommitted to making this month experimental. A challenge, so they say. Find out what is causing my arthritis.  See what makes me feel good, as opposed to hurting.  Other than the obvious...

Wouldn't it be nice if all of the sudden the heavens opened and a loud booming voice said "APRIL FOOLS!  You don't really have Latent Tuberculosis!"  Yeah, right.

'Course, it could just be that I have arthritis and that's that...but I don't like to think that way.  At the very least, I'd like to find what lessens my symptoms.  At best, what completely alleviates them.

My commitment for now:
1. Get Vitamin Sun every day (at least 15 minutes)
2. Eliminate all (or most) high histamine foods and histamine triggering foods from my diet to see if it helps my hands.  If it does, I'll add them back in here and there to see the limit. (See my post on arthritis)

I just went out and bought Vitamin D, 5000 IU's.  100 caps for 10 buckaroos at Whole Foods. Not bad.  I'm going to take one a day to see what happens.   5000 IU's = 125 micrograms.  47% of that is about 58 micrograms.  Not bad.  Combine with sun exposure I should be good for my Vitamin D intake.  By the way, here's an interesting source about Vitamin D toxicity myths (the body uses at least 4000 IU's daily).

As part of this whole diet, I think it will be important to record what I'm eating to see how my hands feel.  Hey, I do this with my five year old, why not with myself?

So here is what I ate yesterday.  My hands feel about the same this morning.  Stiff and weak.  The joints are achy.  I can function just fine, but it helps if I complain a lot to everyone (smile).
  • Pre-Breakfast - 32 oz water with 2 acidophilis caps
  • Breakfast - Polenta with almond milk, honey and blackberries (see my picture!) - Really delicious as I was generous with the honey (underneath all of the blackberries).  I will not cave to a boring diet!
  • 3 food based multivitamins
  • Chai Tea with Coconut Cream 
  • Lunch - Brown rice with cucumbers and goddess dressing (Of course, still hungry so need a snack).
  • 3 food based multivitamins 
  • Snack - Dried Goji berries (about a 1/2 cup) and hot tea with coco cream and stevia
  • Dinner - Fried polenta with sauteed vegees, butternut squash, arugula on the side with miso dressing.  Pumpkin seeds on top.
  • After dinner - Vitamin D, 4000IU's
  • Pre-bed - 1 very white, very pasty INH pill

Possible Histamine triggers:
-Goddess Dressing (Tahini, Soy Sauce, Apple Cider Vinegar)
-Goji Berries (although some sources say they are an anti-histamine)
-Miso Dressing (Miso, Vinegar)
-Pumpkin seeds

Eliminated my usual tomato, avocado, hummus morning sandwich on Ezekial bread (Yeast).  Goodbye my love...sniff...

2 comments:

  1. i got a full ige/igg/iga test and discovered strong delayed iga reactions to several things. eliminating these foods has fixed a lot of my joint aching problems. without the full tests, i would never ever have figured it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started my INH for latent TB.

    ReplyDelete