Sunday, April 11, 2010

Insomnisoniazid (Month 2, Day 41)

Why insomnia with Isoniazid?  I don't really have too many problems with this but every once in a while will simply NOT be able to sleep.  I don't think it's the anxiety of actually taking INH, thank you very much.  With me, it could simply be that I've had a particularly stressful day, I'm listening to my son snore, or possibly that I need to change the sheets.  Nevertheless, one of the real side effects of INH is, in fact, insomnia.


I couldn't find much info on why INH would cause insomnia.  I can make a very hazy guess though...INH causes Niacin deficiency which can cause insomnia, loss of appetite, weight and strength loss, soreness of the tongue and mouth, indigestion, abdominal pain, burning sensations in various parts of the body, vertigo, headaches, numbness, nervousness, poor concentration, apprehension, confusion and forgetfulness. Of course, not necessarily in that order...

All in all, it doesn't look like this has been an area with great studies done.

Cheated on my Histamine diet today:
1.  Made almond milk and added cocoa powder...yum.
Ate papusas with both cheese and some tomatoes in them from our local Tune-up cafe (YUM).
2. Made cashew butter in the vitamix and decided to make a chocolate peanut butter shake with the remnants left in the bottom.  It was delicious.

For dinner: Leftovers of various sorts...some hash browns, some sweet potatoes, asparagus, salad.   Some broken almond meal cookies for dessert.

Plus, I haven't taken a single vitamin except Vitamin Sun (D) in 2 days.  Not sure if my hands are feeling better or worse, although I have experienced some tingling sensations in addition to the aches.  Could be that I need to start up the B6 again.  I'm worried that somehow, my multivitamins are not helping me, but may be hurting me somehow in combination with INH.

Will be interesting to see tomorrow:
 - How the cheat with histamine foods/triggers affects me.
 - How the massive bike ride and gardening I did today affects me.  It always seems like I get super musclesore even with slight activity - Today I jammed, baby.

My Diet Yesterday:
Took my pill that I forgot last night...woops!
No Water!  Woops!
1/2 cup smoothie (cherries, soy yogurt, banana, goji berries, date sugar)
Manna bread (2 slices with earth balance)
Wild Oats for lunch: Cabbage with toasted almonds, superfood salad (kale, blueberries, gojis, purple cabbage...yum) and carrot/sweet potato salad.
4 spears asparagus
Roasted red pepper soup (vitamix of course) - 4 roasted red peppers, 1/2 cup coconut creamer, spike.

Made apple salsa, goddess dressing and tahini in the morning...my god I love food!

Image from Positive Provocations

No comments:

Post a Comment