Monday, October 4, 2010

To Vitamin or Not To Vitamin

My last visit to my dear, sweet nurse at public health went pretty much the same as usual.  I go in, we talk about her arthritis, her grandchild, my boy, she takes my blood pressure and then she gets me my bottle. Really...there's no serious questionnaire to be completed, no probing discussions.  Last month, I'd been feeling rather "odd" and she didn't really flinch when my blood pressure was 80/55.  "Let's try the other arm then."  It came back 95/60.  

I figured she must have supreme confidence in my conversational skills and my ability to plop down on the table anything that might be wrong with me.  Let's try not to think "diseased liver" or anything...keep it light.  So I said, "I've been grumpy, tired and arthritic STILL."  She put me right in my place..."So the B6 isn't working anymore?"

Ah, well, I stopped taking the B6 back in May.  In fact, I stopped doing ANYTHING good in May.  Even Vitamins went out the window, although I still got my dose of Vitamin Sun (D).  Hmmm...

Now my multivitamin is a beast - Six horse-pill sized vitamins are the daily dose.  Food-based and absolutely chock full of everything good, including plenty of B6.  I love 'em, swear by 'em, but haven't been taking them.  Aside from my own psychological problems that are keeping me from good health (yes, I know I have my fair share and lately the grab bag has been quite full) there are some basic physical tenets that I recognized when I started this blog:
  1. Eat well and logically
  2. Avoid histamine rich and inducing foods
  3. Supplement
So when I say that I feel like crap but I'm not doing any of the above, who do I have to blame?  Yep, numero uno right here typing this in.  I hate these kinds of epiphanies.

This morning, I took three multi-vitamins.  At lunch I'll take another three.  I want to continue this through the week.  I have a sneaking suspicion that my energy levels will increase and my general well being will too.

Why do I always have to learn the hard way?

No comments:

Post a Comment