Tuesday, October 12, 2010

How Low Can You Go: Blood Pressure and INH

During my months in blogging darkness, I had (maybe still having) some bouts with low blood pressure.  Supposedly this isn't anything to worry about since my dear nurse didn't have any adverse reaction.  My normal BP is about 105/65.  Not bad, particularly when I'm not exercising and all that stuff.

As I mentioned in my last post, two Public Health visits ago I went in and my initial BP read 80/55.  She shifted it to the other arm and it came in at about 95/60.  So that's great, right?  Probably...However I, with my paranoid mind, have made a few ties to a couple of things.

1. The night before I went in to Public Health I felt dizzy and weak.  I don't watch much TV, and have only a single show that I try to watch.  Fell asleep in the middle of it.  Complained that I felt like my body just needed water and lots of it.

2. The day, after having my blood pressure measured I continued to be weak and almost fainted twice. I continued with the same symptoms.

Coincidence?  In my heart of hearts, I don't believe so.  Even though her final measurement was fine, I've NEVER had to have my BP taken more than once. And 95 is still low for me.

Let me list some signs and symptoms of low blood pressure:


  • Dizziness or lightheadedness
  • Fainting (syncope)
  • Lack of concentration
  • Blurred vision
  • Nausea
  • Cold, clammy, pale skin
  • Rapid, shallow breathing
  • Fatigue
  • Depression
  • Thirst

Dizzy - check, Fainting (or almost) - check, Lack of concentration - check, Fatigue - check, Thirst - check.
Hmmm...

So let's say (hypothetically) that my blood pressure was low.  That I was suffering from hypotension.  What's the cause, is it normal, is it INH and most importantly, what kicks it back to normal?  Well, if I'd been keeping track of my food, my diet and other things like I'd started out doing, I'd probably be able to better answer this as it applies to me.  But alas, I have to go from memory, which was practically wiped clean because of my hypothetical hypotension bout.  Or at least, I can blame it on that.

I'll be pondering this more...lots more research to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment